Thursday, September 23, 2010

Road to Recovery

I am posting this from the hollow in my sofa that is shaped like my body because this is where I have been sitting/lying curled up in the fetal position coughing my brains out for the past five days.

Turns out my crying jag on Friday was not just haircut or hormones but actually really truly feeling terrible from being exhausted and also really freaking sick.  The cold that I thought I would be over by Monday ended up morphing into a cough that prompted my self diagnosis with Black Lung. 

Monday night I woke up at 2am, coughing harder than I ever have in my life.  To the point of breathless gagging.  Obviously there was no sleeping through that, so then David was up too.  And we ended up driving to Walgreens at 2:30am to buy cough medicine that was on my OB-approved list.

I hate liquid medicine (with the exception of Dimetapp because it tastes like purple grape deliciousness) but I slammed a shot of this nasty cherry cough syrup like a champ.  It didn't help.

I canceled class on Monday and Tuesday.  I was all about resting and drinking fluids and taking it easy, sure that I just needed a couple of days to recuperate.  By Wednesday, I felt worse instead of better.  The only part of the day that was even tolerable was the time I spent soaking in the bathtub filled with some kind of cold and flu bath salts that made the room smell like Vicks Vapo Rub.  David asked me to sleep on the sofa because my coughing kept him up all night.  That kind of hurt my feelings, but really I slept better on the sofa because it was easier to keep myself propped up, which I told myself helped with the coughing even though I couldn't really be sure.

The sofa quickly became my sick nest, covered with sheets and pillows and notebooks and books and my laptop and wadded up kleenex and cough drop wrappers.  My breathing has been so raspy and wheezy that David has taken to call me "Predator."  Every night this week I woke myself up coughing about 3am and was unable to fall back asleep for at least two hours (thank heavens for DVRed episodes of Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta).  I was coughing so hard my back and stomach muscles hurt.  It was super gross and pretty freaking miserable.

I finally called my doctor and got an antibiotic prescription on Wednesday.  I didn't want to take an antibiotic because, you know, drugs, baby, worry, blah blah blah.  But I was desperate and the nurse at my OB office assured me that it was perfectly safe.

There was no teaching on Wednesday or Thursday either.  I couldn't shift position on the sofa without coughing uncontrollably.

On Thursday I still didn't feel any better, which was infuriating because I was taking prescription meds!  I wanted some results, dammit!

Instead, I kept coughing so much that I kept expecting to cough up blood and die of consumption like a good Victorian heroine.

I called the doctor back and was told to give it another 24 hours.

I figured in that amount of time, I would either get better or die.

But then!  Last night was the first night since Saturday that I slept through the entire night without waking myself up coughing.  

Today there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel.  I feel slightly more like myself.  I'm still coughing, but not with that out of control, gasping, wheezing cough that plagued me all week.  I plan to teach tomorrow.  Life just might get back to normal, although I'm not sure that the sofa cushions will ever regain their previous shape.

I've never canceled four days of class in a row.  I've never watched so many hours of television in a row.  Cooper has never gotten tired of cuddling with me before.  Evidently a wracking cough disturbs his sleep as well.  Little Mac was--unexpectedly--my loyal companion and slept on the love seat in the living room with me instead of in her bed with David in the bedroom.

It was a rough week.  I'm ready to get some energy back and feel like myself again.

But I think David will miss my sexy predator breathing.


  1. Pregnancy colds are no fun (well any cold is no fun lol) Im glad that your feeling better and hopefully you have a great weekend. I just wanted to say hi, I just found your blog yesterday and added it to my google reader. Im expecting as well, a little boy at the tail end of December.

  2. We got new cushion cores yesterday...makes such a difference. Thank God you're over the black lung...I hear that can really suck.