Wednesday, February 25, 2009

No Bake Cookies


David and I love No Bake cookies. We make them pretty often. Whenever we want something sweet but don't really have anything on hand. It only takes a few minutes to mix up cocoa and peanutbutter and oatmeal into a yummy gloppy mess that is so good we can barely wait until it's cool to start eating. David makes huge heaping cookies as he spoons out the mix onto waxed paper and I pretend this is somewhat annoying but really I delight in eating a humongous chunk of No Bake that is really only one cookie.

(In the interest of full disclosure: I did not take this picture and these are not my cookies. But they all look the same. And they are all delicious!)

We had some friends over for dinner a few weeks ago and made it taco night with all the fixings and Mexican beer. Dessert somehow got sort of overlooked so we just offered our guests the No Bake cookies we'd already made. And no one had ever heard of them before, much less eaten them! They were a huge hit and I was astonished and we were delighted to share the joy that is No Bake cookies.

One guest wanted the recipe so I was copying it for her out of a cookbook that D bought from his elementary school in Nevada. We were laughing because there were no fewer than 11 variations on the recipe for No Bake cookies in this one little cookbook. So I don't know if it's a small-midwestern-town thing or what, but we are happy to spread the No Bake love.

1 comment:

  1. I am SHOCKED that no one had heard of them!! Who are these uncultured folks???

    ReplyDelete