Saturday, November 4, 2017

Fireplace Makeover

Crafty Cousin Amanda and I tackled the fireplace first thing morning. After coffee, obviously.

We did a super simple white washing. Flat white latex paint mixed with water. Paint on with a brush, wipe off with a rag. Repeat.




Also, I'm now a completely insufferable brat who needs a fireplace in her bedroom. The warmth! The coziness! How could I go back to life without a fireplace in my bedroom?

In all seriousness, the mouse has been given a cookie and now wants to redecorate the mantle and figure out whether some drapes could help make it look like the fireplace is actually centered between the windows (evidently symmetry doesn't matter to everyone building houses in the '80s).



For now, though, it's nice to have the orangey color toned down, and it was a fun project that barely even took us an hour--counting all the time we spent taping off the edges and laying paper down on the floor. Definitely worth it!

Now I just have to figure out how to style the mantle...

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! Our new fireplace is white brick, but we have visions of a stone overlay that I’ve seen at the Depot with a big wood mantle that is more our style. The asymmetry with those windows is very odd, what the heck were they thinking? We need to get the mid 90s carpet (gag) out of our master bath in another wtf builders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, stone veneer sounds cute and very PNW. Aren't the windows crazy? I'm not obsessive about symmetry, but I have to avoid thinking about it!

      Delete
  2. Ok, I’m totally going to do this! I’ve hated this beast for nine years, but have been afraid to change it (and my hubby isn’t on board). But it’s HUGE (floor to ceiling ugly brick) and hopefully will make the room seem bigger if it’s lighter...and maybe even give me motivation to finally paint the walls! (In my 1978 house, paining this room also will require to paint the dining room, entry and all the way down the hall thanks to shared walls.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally do it! It's seriously a very quick, easy, and satisfying project. It definitely lightens the room!

      Delete