Friday, January 20, 2017

In This House, We Believe:


This yard sign goes up at my house today.


I believe everything this sign says. I also know that many of my neighbors disagree with some of the important points listed here (we live on a rather conservative, white, Catholic block). The fact that it feels sort of daring to put in up in my yard indicates to me how much more I need to do to speak up and take action.



I can't attend the Women's March on Washington, but I'm wearing this to work today and marching in St. Louis tomorrow.


I'd take Zuzu with me, but she would have to miss swimming lessons so we all know that's a nonstarter. And I know these are relatively small gestures, but they are also important. Here is where we begin. We begin where we are. We begin where we live. Here are the values I want to model for my daughters.


(Special thanks to Sarah for making me aware of this sign! If you want one for your yard, they are available here.)

7 comments:

  1. I have this sign too! Because a friend of mine MADE THEM which is so so so cool, and I love how far flung they are! Solidarity, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered this sign after seeing a picture of it on your blog, Sarah!

      Delete
  2. So following your lead I had a conversation with Cate today about how he became president, and how it's now our job to be kind, especially to those others are mean to. And it came back to bite me. She says, "Yes, so Mom that means you must be kind to Donald Trump!" We talked a little more but darned if she didn't stump me on how I can hold my grudge against the orange orangutang in office and still stand behind what I'm trying to teach her. omg. Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having the opposite problem here... Zuzu asked if he was stupid and I was like "uhhhhh we don't say that word" and dodged the question. I want her to feel hopeful and have respect for the position of POTUS and I know I'm careful about my language but she likes to go to extremes.

      Delete
  3. Your sign rocks!! And so do you. :) I am not one to rock the boat much myself, but there does come a time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we were home, I'd have one of these signs in my front yard in a heartbeat. I've sent the link to everyone I know to get one for themselves. Good for you for taking a stand, even in a neighborhood where it's not a popular belief. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete