Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Scissors

Zuzu got out of bed this morning a little reluctantly. She'd taken a (short) nap at school yesterday, which pushes back bedtime from 7:30-8pm to 8:30-9pm. But she was up! I heard her in her bedroom, choosing her clothes for the day (not my favorite ensemble, but it wasn't aggressively attacking the color wheel, so that's refreshing). 

At one point as I walked from the bathroom back to my bedroom, I noticed that Zuzu was no longer in her bedroom. It's a bit unusual for her to go downstairs without me, but she loves to exercise her independence by getting out the breakfast supplies, so I assumed that was what she was doing. By the time I finished getting dressed, she was back upstairs and I saw her in my peripheral vision as I was putting on mascara. 

"Hi, sweetie," I said, leaning toward the mirror the way you do when you put on mascara. "Can you check and see if your sister's awake?"

A moment later I heard the two of them giggling in Coco's crib, and I went into the Coco's room and lifted her out of bed, ready to carry her to the bathroom. Zuzu climbed out of the crib and we were chattering about breakfast and pancakes.

And then I gasped, staggered, set Coco down, and nearly collapsed. 

I covered my mouth with my hands and started crying.


When questioned as to her motive, she replied:  "I didn't want my bangs on my face."

I think we've pretty well established that this child is shameless, but when she realized that I was crying, she said, "I'm sorry, Mommy. I won't do this EVER again."


We have Christmas photos scheduled for Saturday. The girls in their Christmas dresses. And now, with big-ass bows on their heads.


This enormous pile of hair, along with our kitchen scissors (taken from the drawer where they belong, which she knows are only for grown-ups to use), was in the corner of the TV room, half hidden behind a curio cabinet.

(The scissors are now relocated to a top shelf in the pantry.)

She obviously knew she wasn't supposed to be doing this, because she snuck downstairs and cut her hair while hiding in the corner and facing the wall.


I know it will be funny in a few years. But mercy. It's so terrible. I think I'm still in shock.

9 comments:

  1. I'll bet you anything that, twenty years from now, these will be your favorite Christmas photos. :)
    I understand, though. Been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be a vivid memory!

      Delete
  2. My daughter wanted to cut all of her beautiful hair off, so I took her in and let her get it all cut off. I wanted to cry, especially the first week or so. I tried so hard not to, and to let her know "it's just hair" and beauty isn't the most important thing/you can be beautiful with chopped hair.

    But gosh don't we love our babies' locks??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I could have done the short hair thing. It's the weed-whacker technique that's killing me.

      Delete
  3. Research Alopecia Areata and Alopecia Universalis if you haven;t heard of either. My now 13 year old was diagnosed with the later at 12 years old, and now at almost 14 has been completely bald for over a year. It is just hair, but try telling yourself that as your child goes completely bald with no guarantee that it will ever grow back. @cheer_is_a_bald_sport is her instagram acct if you ever wanted to check it out. I'm so happy Zuzu's hair will grow back and hopefully this will be the last time you are heartbroken over hair loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right that it's only hair, but I can imagine how challenging it is when you don't know if/when it will grow back, especially if your child is old enough to feel self-conscious about it. Thanks for the perspective to remember this is a tiny issue in the larger scheme of things!

      Delete
  4. I've been there... As a previous commenter mentions, at least we can / could say "this too shall pass" and I ended up letting my daughter cut her hair short as well, but wow, just the shock of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What a nice look (lol). No really, so sorry, I know it really is not that funny to you now. We have all been there or done this (lol).

    ReplyDelete