Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween Garb

Let the record show that I went to work dressed as Dr. Taylor...

In scrubs and a lab coat and tennis shoes and a t-shirt that says, "Trust me, I'm a doctor."

I look totally legit. Someone asked me if I was Meredith Grey. We both wear blue scrub pants and have a lot of issues, so yes.

Zuzu went to school NOT in a costume because: "It is a rule at my school that we do not wear costumes."

(Interesting aside: Zuzu is somewhat more interested in following rules than she used to be, or at least interesting in exploring the concept of rules in conversation, particularly if she feels that she gets to help enforce them. She really loves making rules for others to follow.)

She did wear a Pumpkin-Jack-o-Lantern Shirt. And gray leggings with silver stars on them. And a black and white polka dot skirt. And turquoise socks with the Little Mermaid on them. And pink shiny tennis shoes. It's one of her more put together outfits that doesn't break all the rules of the color wheel, actually.

But now let's discuss the MOST SIGNIFICANT HALLOWEEN GARB:]

Coco went to school in big girl undies.

(!!!!!!!!!)

I am simultaneously DELIGHTED to be finished with washing disgusting cloth diapers (even with using a flushable liner, they are disgusting), and DELIGHTED to be finished with purchasing disposable diapers to use overnight and on the go, and DEVASTATED that mah baybee is less babyish.

In other words, we're so happy. It's liberating and awesome and also a creeping reminder of my own mortality.

Oh, nice. Way to take potty-training to a really dark place. YOU'RE WELCOME. Happy Halloween.

(I got up at 5am this morning to grade papers and I am jazzed up on caffeine and the somewhat successful teaching of "To His Coy Mistress" this morning, so apologies for the shout-caps and incoherence.)

I'd also like to take a moment to share the most important words of parenting wisdom that I have learned in my time:

It's not you. It's them.

What did I do to potty-train my two-year-old?

Nothing.

Certainly much less than I did to potty train two-and-a-half year old Zuzu. (I'd link to it, but I'm doing this on my phone, so just check out potty training posts in the archives circa December of 2014. So frustrating!) I gave it my all and then I gave up and Zu wasn't potty trained until after she was three.

They truly made up their own minds.

After my experience with Zuzu, I would have said we'd work on Coco next summer. But girlfriend was READY. I did nothing except put her in underwear and say, "Doesn't it feel good to keep your undies dry?" when she peed on the potty.

And (I seriously would want to smack me right now if I were reading this two years ago, so please feel free to stop reading) she went all day without an accident. Even with trick or treating and everything. The child is a marvel.

I'll recap Halloween tomorrow. We had a fun night but it ended with a plumbing disaster in the kitchen that David is still dealing with. Happy Halloween to us!

3 comments:

  1. I often compare myself with Meredith Grey now, as I would definitely consider myself "dark and twisty".

    And I LOVE that I'm not the only one who gets sad and kind of morbid with the passing of each "milestone". Congrats to CoCo on the potty training. I agree, it's absolutely them. We tried and then gave up with Frank much too soon, and eventually, when he was ready, it just happened.

    Also, Mike is a plumber. Text me if you need any help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. Every milestone of my kids' makes me think of how old I am getting. So that's a fun neurosis that we share! Also, I think you've stumbled upon the holy grail of parenting with the "It's not you, it's them." I have no idea what I'm doing. They figure it out and I provide the food and water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES-- it's THEM, not YOU. Applies to everything-- sleep, eating, peeing in the potty, etc.

    ReplyDelete