Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Depth of Her Sadness

My friend Laura shared this article via e-mail, and I connected with much of it (the lack of closure, the need to be around other bereaved parents to feel like I'm not "acting," the fear that lingering grief means doing something wrong, and the Isak Dinesen quote).

I wanted to post it here because it's an article that felt affirming for me, and it's perfect for posting on social media or forwarding to people who just don't seem to understand that we grieve so much because we loved them so damn much: "She was not depressed or stuck or wrong. She was just very sad, consumed by sorrow, but not because she was grieving incorrectly. The depth of her sadness was simply a measure of the love she had for her daughter."


3 comments:

  1. This was amazing; thanks for sharing. It definitely resonated with this babyloss mom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke- I agree 100% with this article... the depth of one's love is proportional to the sadness & depression tied to such profound loss... big huge hugs & thank you for sharing... Though I don't know you IRL, I thought it fit to let you know we named our rainbow baby girl Brooke Elise... I can only hope she grows up to be as wise, loving, resilient & hopeful as you are Brooke. Thank you for your beautiful blog & for sharing your beautiful Eliza & her two little sisters with us... big hugs to you from foggy San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke- I agree 100% with this article... the depth of one's love is proportional to the sadness & depression tied to such profound loss... big huge hugs & thank you for sharing... Though I don't know you IRL, I thought it fit to let you know we named our rainbow baby girl Brooke Elise... I can only hope she grows up to be as wise, loving, resilient & hopeful as you are Brooke. Thank you for your beautiful blog & for sharing your beautiful Eliza & her two little sisters with us... big hugs to you from foggy San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete