Thursday, January 8, 2015

Stuff We're Loving

Here's a little list of stuff we like/use/read/listen to.

The Monster at the End of This Book. Do you guys remember this book that stars the lovable, furry Grover from Sesame Street? David and I both had this book when we were kids and we found his old copy--a little golden book that has a cover price of 15 cents!--when we were at his mom's over break. We were so excited to read it again. Zuzu has requested it every night since.

Since she tends to be Captain Contrarian these days, it should come as no surprise that she giggles like mad when we turn the pages in spite of Grover's best efforts to stop us.

###


It turns out that I'm so vain when it comes to skincare these days. I just feel like being over thirty and having two little ones and my share of emotional baggage and grief lines and lack of sleep and cold, dry winter air is aging my skin. (In spite of the fact we're sleeping with a humidifier on and I'm guzzling water like nobody's business.)

When I was pregnant with Coco, I was so sensitive to smell that I had to switch to unscented everything and I wanted to stick with mostly natural products. I gave my mom the night cream I had been using because the previously pleasant smell made me want to hurl, and I splurged on this night cream. Then I used it up, and didn't want to spend the money on a new pot of it. (It's not La Mer but it still feels spendy to me.) so I switched back to a cheaper brand that I'd liked previously and... Yeah. I noticed the difference almost immediately. Used up the cheaper brand and went back to Origins (their website offers lots of good deals once you're on the mailing list).

So now I'm becoming expensive and high maintenance in my old(er) age. It's hard being vain.

###

Serial

I'm mildly obsessed with this podcast. D and I listened to it while driving on our Midwestern Christmas Tour and I've been talking about it ever since--cousins, friends, the new professor in the business department--everyone should listen! DO IT RIGHT NOW.

I'll go ahead and tell you, things don't get tidily wrapped up in the end. She doesn't solve the mystery, but it's still fascinating. And I don't think he did it! But a lot of people disagree with me. And I certainly don't have the Jay mystery figured out... If you've listened, tell me what you think.

###

Cotton sheets. There's just no substitute. I was just telling someone the other day about a time David and I stayed the night at one of his friends' houses and the dude had black satin sheets on his guest bed. It was hilarious and also icky. And seriously slippery.

So, keep your satin and your fleece. I'm over jersey and flannel, too. Cotton + cozy duvet all the way.

###


New season just started and put couple' crush on Chip and Joanna is going strong. They are the cutest. I kind of want to move to Waco and be BFFs with them. You get a lot of house for your money in Waco, Texas!

###


I'm giving this a try. No pressure, no resolutions. Not sure if it will stick, but so far so good. I kind of love it. 

###

Nose Frida. Poor Coco has a bit of the snots. Nose Frida to the rescue! (Go ahead and get the one that comes with extra filters, just in case your toddler has an obsession with removing the filter and losing it.)

Funny thing is that Zuzu protested Frida pretty adamantly, but Covo tolerates it just fine and just looks kind of bewildered. Which, as my friend Brandy pointed out, is sort of Coco's classic expression. She vascillates between delight and bewilderment, actually. 

###

30 Days of Yoga with Adriene. David and I decided on January 2nd that we needed to do some yoga. We needed a mental break and some stretching after a lot of hours in the car and in not-our-own-bed.

I pulled up YouTube, did a quick search, and we did the first routine with Adriene. We felt so good after, and I like her and her yoga style so much that we've started doing yoga every single day! Lest that sound obnoxious, keep in mind that the videos are usually just 15-20 minutes (plus your own savasana time at the end), so we try to do it as soon David gets home from work. He changes clothes, Coco is usually dozing off about that time so one of us rocks her to sleep, the other ones plops Zuzu in front of Mickey Mouse Club, and then we have a yoga date in the living room in front of a roaring fire. We're often interrupted--Zuzu needs a drink of water or Coco starts fussing, but we just pause the video, take care of business, and then try to get our zen back.

It's one of my favorite parts of the day and it makes us (okay, me) so much less cranky and frantic as we move into the craze of dinner and bath and bedtime and prep for the next day.

###

Okay, your turn. What are you loving these days?

12 comments:

  1. I have also become obsessed with my face and the crazy changes that pregnancy hormones have done to it. Sigh. So I'm with you on becoming an an expensive high maintenance old lady- geez. I'm now getting facials every month and I've started using a Clarisonic brush (love) and only Skinceutical products on my face (cleanser and other products to fix and prevent). Let me know if you wanna hear about them- excellent products! We sell them in our pharmacies and people go crazy for them. I didn't understand why until I got old and high maintenance- lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I love all of these things. Move to WI and let's be best friends. (also, try Miracle cream from Philosophy-- I looooove it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, became obsessed with Serial. I don't think that Adnan did it, but I think that he knew something. Jay is definitely the key to the thing. And what a sad look at our criminal justice system.

    I am loving Chobani key lime yogurt. It's like dessert, but it's yogurt, and yogurt is healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing Adriene's 30 days of yoga too. She's my favorite YouTube yogi, no doubt. My husband and I received matching pajama bottoms from my MIL and that has been cracking me up. Little things, little things. If you're looking for a new podcast, Topics with Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter is pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $56 for 1.7 ounces?! Mercy! No wonder it works wonders.

    What do I love? House of Cards! Also, love going to the library and letting Finn pick out which books we are going to bring home. He takes his time looking around and flipping through books to see what peaks his interst. Also, he definitely judges a book by its cover, but that's a life lesson for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there must have been some crazy reasons Adnan isn't really "Remembering" anything all this time later. Like either he and jay were in some gay love tryst thing or something el bizarro is preventing him from not giving up the goods. I just don't believe Adnan did it.

    I love SK's voice.

    We ordered The Monster… as a stocking stuffer for G and she loves it too. ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need night cream. I am avoiding thinking I'm an old lady... but I AM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to read The monster at the end of this book everyday to the toddlers! They pratocally knew it by heart:) it was so cute! I need to come visit some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on the cotton sheets. (Preferably a minimum 200 thread count cotton percale -- I had to throw out two sets we got as wedding presents because they were WAY too scratchy.) I've never understood the allure of flannel sheets either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to try that yoga! It sounds great.
    I'd like to try the new face cream but holymoly!
    Who thought fleece sheets sounded like a good idea? ick.

    I love nosefrida! My go-to toddler nose cleaner is boogie wipes. Seems like just an expensive diaper wipe, but they really work better! Plus, convincing toddler that he gets to check it out when we "get a big one" helps with cooperation. ha! I miss nose frida, but boogie wipes are nice.

    I like Fixer Upper but I can't be a true believer when they purchase houses for under $25000. I mean, come on! I know property is cheaper in Texas, but I can't relate (though I wish I could) to getting a perfect house for $100k.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reese's peanut butter spread. So divine and the child doesn't like it leaving it all for me! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  12. True story: The day after Ryan and I watched that Fixer Upper that was in Waco we had already planned to be driving through Waco. Ryan found the address online and with dreams of two faculty positions at the university and a giant affordable beautiful house, we drove past it. The neighborhood was full of potentially gorgeous homes in bad shape, but it had a LONG way to go. But it WAS beautiful!

    And ditto on the cotton sheets. Satin sounds so weird!

    ReplyDelete