Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013

I answer these questions on my blog each year.  200920102011, and 2012.  (I've been blogging a long time now.)  Here we go again...

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
Met up with friends I'd only known via blogs and e-mail.  Flew on an airplane with a baby.  Planned and hosted a first birthday party.  Parented a toddler.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year, my goal was to be deliberate.  With memory keeping, time, love, money, and organization.  JUST A LITTLE AMBITIOUS, I WAS.  I did okay with some of those things.  I kept Zuzu's baby book up to date (I have fallen a few months behind on photo albums--I'm still an old-fashioned photo printer.  When I love a photo, I want to be able to hold on to it.).  I tried to be deliberate about where I spend my time--like, no playing Candy Crush while Zuzu is awake.  We definitely had to be deliberate with money after the initial sale of our house fell through.  Organization is still a work in progress!

My goals for 2014:  Complete bookshelves for living room, paint kitchen cabinets, paint basement walls, organize craft/sewing/desk area in basement, make closet more functional, save money!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Brandi had a baby girl in July and my friend Caroline just had a baby girl this month.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Nana died in August after receiving a diagnosis of lung cancer in the spring.  We hate cancer.  And we miss Nana.

5. What countries did you visit?
We did not travel out of the country, but we did fly to Arizona in March, Zuzu and I visited Chicago in June, and we made a few trips back to Nevada, MO to see the fam over the course of the year.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Well, let's be honest:  a little extra cash would be nice.

7. What dates from 2013 will remained etched upon your memory?
June 29th - Zuzu's first birthday (and first birthday party!).  Weirdly, there aren't any specific dates besides that one that really stand out.  Just a series of lovely and hilarious and exasperating and happy and sad but mostly happy days.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I wrote a novel in November!

9. What was your biggest failure?
I'm disappointed in the way one of my classes this fall turned out.  I was kind of overwhelmed with prep work for class and never really got ahead.  I wasn't really on top of my game and it should have been a better class than it was.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious, though David and I were both sick the weekend before Christmas through Christmas day--fever, achiness, and general yuckiness.  Zuzu stayed healthy this year, too (except for those pesky ear infections). David and I were each in fender-benders (a week apart) but no one was injured in those accidents either.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The new house, our bargain sectional for the TV room, and although I didn't buy them for myself, my favorite gift was these Toms wedges (but in black suede) my mom gave me for my birthday.  I love how they look and they are the most comfortable heeled shoe I have ever worn.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
David might win this category again...  he's a pretty good guy.  I'm also really grateful for Zuzu's teachers at daycare.  I feel so lucky to be able to work basically full time and drop her off at a place she loves.  I feel comfortable and confident that I'm leaving her in capable and loving hands.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Congress (bah).  I was also appalled by certain parents at David's school who appear to value their own convenience over student safety.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Two mortgages and daycare.

15. What did you get really excited about?
Finally selling our old house (knock on wood!--we close on January 7th)

16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
I sing this Bob Dylan song to Zuzu every night before bed.  It's our lullaby/prayer.

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
And may you stay forever young.


May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the light surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
And may you stay forever young...


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder?  I think I'm happier.
- thinner or fatter?  About the same.
- richer or poorer?  Poorer in cash money, richer in other ways.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
More exercise, more meal-planning.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Grading.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home in St. Louis, with David and Zuzu and my parents and brother.

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
I was already in love.  And I stayed that way.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Scandal.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not so much.  I guess that's a good thing!

24. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot of books (not 100, but somewhere around 60).  The best ones were Unbroken by Lauren Hillebrand, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and I also loved Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

25. What was your favorite musical discovery?
I'm not sure I made any musical discoveries in 2013.  Pandora is blocked at my office (so lame) but I discovered that I can use Spotify at work!

26. What did you want and get?
a beautiful new house

27. What did you want and not get?
a quick sale on the old house

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
We saw very few movies this year (I think only two in the theater).  The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire was probably my favorite that we saw in the theater.  We want to see American Hustle but instead of going out to dinner and a movie before Christmas, we got sick and watched a bunch of episodes of The Good Wife streaming with Amazon prime.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 on my birthday.  David and I went to brunch and then with my parents and Zuzu to the Botanical Gardens and that evening David and I went to a movie.  It was the best birthday I've had in three years.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If our original contract on the house would have gone through (okay, I swear I'm done bitching about that now).

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
For the first nine months:  Breastfeeding/Pumping Friendly.  For the last three months:  Leggings + tunic + scarf + boots.

32. What kept you sane?
snuggling with Zuzu

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I still love Kate Middleton

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Affordable Care Act.  I think it needs a public relations makeover.  Somebody get Olivia Pope on that.

35. Who did you miss?
Eliza, of course, and grandparents whom we wish could have had time--or more time--with Zuzu.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I'd technically met her in 2012, but I've become good friends with one of my colleagues at work, which makes work so much more fun.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
We can make it work.  2013 was full of a lot of unexpected news--some of it bad, some of it good.  Every time there was an unfortunate wrench in our plans there would be some moping and some fretting and then we'd sigh and say, "Well, we can make it work."

After Eliza died, I quit believing that things will be okay in the end, but I'm still holding on to the idea that as long as you surround yourself with the right people, you can work your way through just about anything.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away.

May 2014 have more of the good and less of the bad.  Here's to a new year.





5 comments:

  1. Oh that song...
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it.
    So glad you have a good friend at work, that does help so much!
    And OMG, the cone brigade, I'm pretty sure they may need to put spikes in those cones :)
    Haha, I thought your goal for last year was very impressive.
    Congrats on the novel!! I am impressed!
    And I love that Forever Young song. :)
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the song you sing to Zuzu, or rather I love the fact that you sing it to her. What a lovely little tradition and how sweet it will be when she can sing along with you.

    Wishing you a happy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you say, about how even though you don't believe things will be okay in the end, if you're with the right people, you can work your way through almost anything. It gives a sense of hope--and perseverance--to my oft-depressing-seeming outlook that nothing is certain and not everything will be okay. But *I* can be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love the Dylan song as a lullaby! Congrats on completing your novel!!

    ReplyDelete