Thursday, October 17, 2013

Strange Donut

After our houseguests left last weekend, we were feeling a little glum.  David suggested that we head over to a new donut place that had just opened in a neighborhood not too far from our house.  Their schtick is that they put out 6 classic donuts and 6 creative donuts each day, and then on the weekend nights they make a "strange" donut.  Rumor has it that November's strange donut involves a waffle donut with cranberry sauce and turkey in it.

So we decided to check it out.

And then we got there and saw a line stretching down the block.



You see that little round sign sticking out?  That's not it.  The line continues way past there.  But we had nothing else to do and nowhere else to be, so we decided to wait and see if these donuts were really worth the hype.

At first, Zuzu was content to sit in her stroller.  But twenty-five minutes or so into the wait, she started to get antsy.  We unstrapped her and lifted her out and she proceeded to charm everyone in line around us, including an 11-month-old baby in a Bjorn carrier whose mom was in line right behind us.  And then entertaining the crowd got old.

We let her climb up some concrete steps (carefully supervised) but then the line moved on so we had to drag her with us.  We'd finally gotten close enough to peek in the windows of the donut shop!



Of course she was not content to be held, so she wriggled out of David's arms to take a look in the windows for herself.  She looked super cute standing on her tiptoes to look inside.  So I bent down to dig my phone out of my purse and snap a photo.

And the moment I took my eyes off of her, she bolted toward the street.  

I was right behind her, but a random dude ended up grabbing her little arm a split second before I caught up with her to keep her from running off the curb and into the street.  I was both mortified and grateful.  

After that, our charming little toddler turned into a terrorist.  She squirmed, she shrieked.  We strapped her back in the stroller and David jogged her up to the corner and back.  She continued to protest the injustice.  When it was almost our turn to go inside, we had to park and leave the stroller because it wouldn't fit in the tiny shop.  So I held her and danced around and tickled her to keep her entertained.  She continued to thrash and kick in an effort to convince me I should put her down.  She paused briefly to wave to kids outside the window, which was super cute, and then she was back in Toddler Terrorist mode.  She wanted nothing more than to run into the kitchen of the donut shop (which was an open doorway).  She was also interested in getting underfoot of everyone who was filling up cups with scalding hot coffee.  When we eliminated the possibility of these activities, she settled for screeching--not crying, just yelling at the top of her lungs.

By the time David paid for our dozen donuts and my small coffee, I was starting to get sweaty from wrestling her.  I traded David a child who appeared to be in need of an exorcism for my cup of coffee.  I quickly filled up my cup and fitted it with a lid and when I turned back around, my darling daughter was biting her father because how dare he prevent her from running behind the counter?  

We straightjacketed safely bucked her in the stroller to walk to the car and she screamed bloody murder while the friendly kids who had been waving at her through the window gaped at us and our tantrum-throwing toddler.  She was thrashing so much it took me forever to get her strapped in while David stood by, holding the donuts.  It didn't help that I was laughing really hard.  I don't know if other people were judging us, but I could hardly blame Zuzu for losing it after forty-five minutes in line, and the whole scene struck me as absurd and amusing.

Also the upside was that I figured I'd burned enough calories wrangling with her to justify eating donuts for breakfast.

We decided we'd go to a park and let her burn off her energy while we ate donuts, but by the time we got there our toddler terrorist was fast asleep in the backseat.  This skipping morning nap business is tricky.

So David and I sat in the car at the park while she slept and we took bites out of each and every donut in the dozen so we could compare all the flavors.  My favorite was Gooey Butter, his was Bart's donut (Butterfinger) or Campfire (a s'more).  Zuzu did not get to taste any because she was a crazy psycho asleep.

Strange Donut gets two thumbs up for us, for novelty if nothing else.  I still vote that World's Fair Donut has the best glazed donuts and long johns in town, but if you're looking for a crazy weird donut and it's after 9pm on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you have to look no further than Strange Donuts.  (They don't know me and I was not compensated for this post in the form of cash or donuts, although I am open to either form of payment.)

If you're not sure where it is, head in the general vicinity of the ear-piercing shrieks that I'm sure everyone in the bi-state area heard on Saturday morning.  They were coming from Zuzu and she was in line for donuts.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes when you have to put a knee to a stomach in order to pin a child down long enough to strap them into the stroller, all you can do is laugh.

    But like you said, who can blame her for getting antsy after waiting 45 minutes? It's not like she understands the concept of "wait and then you'll get a donut". "Wait", I've been finding, is an incredibly difficult concept to express. Gwen seems to think that it is episodic: I tell her to wait, she waits, and then 2 seconds later she's waited, so why haven't things gotten better yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lord. I remember having to wrestle Luke into the car seat every.time. we went anywhere. While I was pregnant. (My mom always liked to say it was because he was still RF'ing...uh no...he didn't know he was still RF'ing and that FF'ing is even an option, he just didn't want to be strapped in or leave.) He has outgrown that (and can be reasoned with mostly now...like..."get in the car so we can go play.") But I know Matthew is going to be a tough toddler, he already tries to bite and head butts when he's mad (!) That is a really tough age for me when they are old enough to get mad about everything but not old enough to understand or really care about bribery aka "rewards".

    Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mobility, strength, and clear intent mixed with limited communication and reasoning skills make toddlerhood especially challenging. Good thing they are so damn cute to make up for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica nailed it. It gets better when they can talk and reason. And then the whining and "but's..." begin.

    Toddler Caroline reminds me of Toddler Frances. We didn't know what hit us. Toddler Ella would have hung out in the stroller and people watched for 45 minutes without making a peep. Once we took her to a fancy restaurant where she had nothing to occupy herself with except three sugar packets. She played quietly with them for over two hours while we chatted and ate with friends.

    HA! Not with Frances, not one little bit.

    The words will catch up with her, and things will get better.

    Strange Donuts is on our radar. We stopped by one day, but we were a few days early - they weren't open yet.

    John's Donuts beat out World's Fair for me any day. Their blueberry and old fashion / buttermilk are to die for - not overly glazed, which is the way I like donuts. They have this cinnamon crunch donut that is about as good as it gets.

    Now I want some donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG what a funny story! I'm glad you were able to laugh about it. And I now want to try a smore doughnut sooooooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! And so worth it for awesome doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Long Johns win my heart.

    2. I'm familiar with this terrorist toddler business. Hence the reason we hardly go out to eat anymore-- or if we do, it has to be a fast-casual joint and one of us is likely chasing our terrorist around the restaurant.

    3. Wishing you luck on the nap transitioning. It's super tricky. But once it's down to one, life gets a bit easier to manage...except when you're so tired at the end of the day and not getting anything done around the house. That part bites.

    4. I now want a donut. Instead, I'll have another Klondike bar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I call it Alligator wresting when K does that. He's so strong, it truly feels like an alligator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taking G with me to kickboxing has some good and bad consequences, She gets some socialization, sees how exercise is a healthy, non optional, part of life. And then there's the fact she has a mean left hook and complete strangers get to hear me tell my 4 year old; We hit bags not people!

    I wish you luck with your tiny terror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We call Grace both a baby terrorist, and also relate wrestling her into a carseat/stroller/etc. to wrestling an alligator (just like Molly said!). These kids are crazy.

    Those donuts sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd lose my shit if someone made me wait 5 minutes for a donut that delicious sounding - I say terror on Zuzu - this is for a good cause!


    Mmmm - even more reason to visit the Ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I remember those days! I do not miss toddlerhood one bit. The only thing I can say that might help is that it does get better... eventually. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know my kiddo isn't the only with the whole screaming thing down and no concept of patience. "I want" and "more" I o what I want and right now I want a butterfinger donut. ~M

    ReplyDelete