Monday, July 29, 2013

House Plans

I was thinking that the house tour might be easier to follow if you had a floor plan to work with.  The following floor plan is not drawn to scale.  I created it in Paintbrush without even using a mouse, just using the laptop.  So it's a little rough.  But it should give you an idea of the shape and flow of the house.

So far, we've covered almost all the rooms downstairs:  living room, dining room, kitchen, powder room, and next up I'll show you the family room/TV room/back room (I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath).

Upstairs you've only seen the nursery so far, so there's a few more rooms to follow.  And then I guess I'll post photos of the basement even though it's a total wreck, housing boxes of books that are STILL WAITING on bookshelves (we've--finally--decided to order some inexpensive bookcases to put up in the basement while we wait on the gumption/time/money/brainpower to do the built-ins I want upstairs).

In the meantime, here's the basic layout of the house.

Main floor/downstairs:
The front door is at the bottom right of the sketch--that black spot across the hallway and the stairs.  The other darker spots are windows.  For some reason, the powder room didn't get labeled.  It's the little square tucked into the kitchen, directly across from the stairs.  The stairs that lead down to the basement are directly underneath the stairs that go up to the second floor--the door to the basement is across from the powder room.  And there's a side door that we never use that enters the house right next to the powder room and door to the basement stairs (the darker black line on the right side of the sketch).  The door to the backyard is off the side of the family room, which was an addition to the original house.

Here's the upstairs: 

Upstairs was a bit harder to sketch for some reason.  There's a fairly good sized landing at the top of the stairs that has doors to the three bedrooms and the bathroom and a small closet where the vacuum lives.  I didn't label the closets, except for the crazy huge one that sold me on the house.  When the previous owners added the family room extension, they ran it all the way up to the second floor and created a sitting room and enormous closet off the master bedroom.  Closet space is hard to come by in these old city homes, so it feels positively luxurious.  I seriously think the master closet is larger than the nursery.  The bathroom isn't quite as cramped as it seems in this sketch (proportions are a bit off for sure) but at least you get a sense of the layout.

And finally, the basement:

Somehow this sketch makes the basement look nicer than it really does.  It could all be labeled "hot mess" and that would be a bit more accurate.  Tucked into the nook beside the closet-under-the-stairs is not an eleven-year-old wizard, but is, in fact, the Harry Potter book series and all the other books I own.  Boxes and boxes of them.  Also some desk supplies, frames to go up on walls, and other paraphernalia.  That half of the basement is "finished," which means it is covered in knotty pine wood paneling original to the house when it was built in 1943 and carpeted with shaggy carpet I can't stand.  The other half, with the laundry area, is unfinished, which means concrete floors.  The water heater (& stuff) is not housed in its own little room (although we might like that someday?), but I just drew a square to indicate that it's not open floor space.  The coal closet originally held coal (obvy) but currently holds things like paint cans, luggage, wrapping paper, holiday decorations, and a bunch of plastic bins full of baby and maternity clothes.  The guest room is carpeted.  It was another part of the addition to the house, so it's sort of weirdly located:  "Welcome to our home; please walk through the unfinished laundry room in order to access your guest quarters."  At least the downstairs bathroom is new and nice.

Anyway, photos and further narration to follow on the rest of the rooms.  Just providing the layout today, for your viewing pleasure.

Also, I'm learning that I need to have a thicker skin if I'm going to post photos of my home.  Someone commented recently on the nursery and said something like, "I love what you did with the ceiling, but don't you think the walls are a bit boring for a baby's room?"

Uh, no, obviously I don't think so or I wouldn't have painted them that color!  But clearly YOU think so, so maybe you should have just stated that instead of making it a passive aggressive rhetorical question.  I was mad and deleted the comment, but as I reflect back on it, I wish I wouldn't have deleted it because it really wasn't mean and certainly gray nursery walls are not for everyone (although gray is becoming increasingly popular for nurseries).  I personally like the color and think a simple, soothing neutral works well with the very busy ceiling, and my opinion hasn't changed.  But obviously decorating is all about personal choice and not everyone has to agree with me.  And if I'm going to post photos of the house on a public blog, I'm inviting feedback and commentary and I'm probably not going to like or agree with all of it (even though I do love almost all of it because you guys are all my friends and are awesome).  But the point of comments isn't always validation, but is to offer new perspectives and ideas I hadn't thought of, and I love that too.  

This means I am going to get over myself and be fine with people expressing their opinions, even if I don't agree with them, because that is how the internet works.  And it's totally worth it to find out that people in Ireland call chair railing "skirting board" and to get amazingly helpful links toward kitchen cabinet painting that doesn't include sanding.  

So I'll keep posting about the house (and whatever else I feel the urge to share,) and I welcome any and all feedback.  Except for really mean stuff, which I'll just delete, because shuddup.


8 comments:

  1. I think your house looks amazing and you are crazy motivated and creative. The only problem is you can't ever come to my house now because it sucks compared to yours. (Unless you want to come decorate it next!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent metacomment (on comments); we all want honesty, and we all want approval, and those desires sometimes conflict. That said, I like the grey walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I painted Andrew's (Benjamin's... any other child to inhabit our house...) nursery gray and find it to be a stellar choice. And we don't even have a cool ceiling. ;)

    I appreciate the comment about basement = hot mess. If I could fill ours in with concrete because of how many lost days that damn thing has been to us, I would. I'd rather have a little concrete hole for tornadoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a gray nursery too. That commenter is just behind the times! Or, maybe I should say "Don't you think that commenter is a bit behind the times?" all passive-aggressive like.

    We are house hunting now so I've enjoyed all these posts on your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually contemplating painting my own, grown up room light grey. It's just so calming and peaceful and pops of colour can be added easily. Also there's a brand of paint here in Ireland called Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, no sanding or prep required before using it on wood and it gives a beautiful finish, we went a little mad last year and bought several different colours and went to town on our dressers and cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grey! I love Zuzu's room- it's adorable!

    I wish I had an 11 year old wizard under my stairs... Maybe he could clean up the cat-pee stench that is my basement? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha - the internet lets people be such jerks!

    I think that the room looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My entire condo was shades of grey! And now my whole house is too, lol. It's my new neutral. My bedroom and basement guest room are a beigey mocha because I had left over paint from an off colour choice for my condo... But they'd probably be grey too if I wasn't so cheap!

    I was going to be totally playful and criticize your paintbrush skillz, but I don't want to get deleted! (and I think they're pretty bad ass, btw)

    ReplyDelete