Monday, November 12, 2012

The Mommy

As I mentioned before, Zuzu had to get shots on Saturday, and they really put her out.  The crabbiness extended past Saturday and continued all day Sunday, which was kind of a bummer because spending a rainy Sunday trapped in the house with a crabby baby is a whole lot of fun for no one.

You know, I've always liked babies.  I liked babysitting, I love my friends' babies, I love my relatives' babies.  But the thing about a crabby baby is that once they start crying, I always felt some combination of somewhat offended, also concerned, mildly irritated, sympathetic, and relieved to be able to hand off the munchkin to a parent, always saying cheerfully, "Looks like someone wants her mommy!"

Now I'm the parent of a baby.  And my baby cries occasionally (shocking, but true).  And it never ceases to amaze me that I'm the mommy she wants when she's cranky or tired.

I should add that Daddy does a great job of getting baby love.  This girl is craaaazy about her daddy, and she is often very content to snuggle up with him. But I have the magic boobs, so in times of distress, it's still me.  Nobody is quite as comforting as The Mommy.

In all that fussing, somewhere in the primordial, pre-language parts of her brain, she's saying, "I want my mommy!"

And I'm the mommy.

And that's incredible.


6 comments:

  1. I'm stil not used to being "The Mommy" either!!

    And our last shots messed Dutch up for 3 days. Poor kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E is almost 4 and I regularly still have moments where I think, I can't believe I'm The Mommy. I like to think about how my mom must have felt that way, too, and her mom and her mom and her mom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeahhhh.

    B has reached the age of object permanence and separation anxiety (aka: doesn't want to sleep without me near) and that's all kinds of fun.

    I sure wish the husband had the magic boobs between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are 11, 9, and 3, and sometimes, (just sometimes with the older two), the mommy is all they want. I love it (and find myself reminding myself how much I love it during the times when it's mildly irritating.)

    ReplyDelete