Monday, April 16, 2012

Things I'm Loving in April

After blogging (twice.  because I'm so cool like that.)  about deodorant, I decided to give this Adidas Cotton + stuff a try since several commenters recommended it.


 I've used it for over a week and...  I love it.  I don't know if it's because I prefer a solid over a roll-on (although the Body Shop deodorant is available in solid) or if it's the super fresh scent or what, but I don't feel like I have to reapply half-way through my day.  However, it has been cooler lately (highs in the 60s) so that may have something to do with it as well.  I'll let you know how my armpits feel when we get our usual St. Louis hot and muggy summer.  (I know you're all marking your calendars to check back on that!).

I have about a 30 minute commute to work each day, and I HATE radio commercials and sometimes NPR stresses me out, so I like to listen to books on CD, which I check out from the library.  I stumbled across this one and decided to give it a try, as I'm a fan of historical fiction (make that well-researched historical fiction) and Marie Antoinette seemed especially appealing to me since David and I visited Versailles a couple of years ago (listening to this book totally makes me want to go back to Versailles and to Paris).



Anyway, this book was so fascinating that I found myself looking forward to my commute.  I kept thinking about Marie Antoinette even when I wasn't in the car.  I have read a couple of Phillippa Gregory's books (she wrote The Other Boleyn Girl), and this was along the same lines, but (in my opinion) better.  As I got toward the end of the book, I found myself hoping that well-researched historical fiction would suddenly take a sharp turn into imaginary possibilities, because even though I knew all about the French Revolution and how things were going to end for Marie Antoinette, I was invested enough in her story that I really wanted her to avoid that fate.  The author does a great job of making her seem human without downplaying all of the superficial and expensive niceties she indulged in while the people of France were starving.  It's a clever portrait of the way she was both sheltered and deeply involved in French politics, and an especially intriguing portrayal of her marriage to Louis XVI.

Our DVR did not cooperate with Season 2 of Downton Abbey.  I am SLIGHTLY suspicious of this, because it never screws up on anything David wants to record.  How is it possible that I missed HALF of Downton Abbey episodes, and yet we never miss a moment of Eastbound and Down (a show that I hate) or Baseball Tonight?  Riddle me that. 

 Anyway, problem solved when I discovered that Amazon had season 2 of DA for $14.99.  A friend had suggested I reward myself for the MASSIVE amount of grading I did over spring break, so I took her advice.  I can't wait to indulge in this treat!

I don't really want to discuss this in detail, but let's just say this product has been a lifesaver.


And now for my final verdict on Affresh...


Honestly, I am not sure that it was any more effective than it would have been to just do the bleach and vinegar cycles alone (with a good scrub down on the rubber ring).  However, I feel like patting myself on the back for my spring cleaning efforts, and all I had to do was drop a tab into the washing machine, so in that sense I declare it a winner.  It did make the metal inside of my washer look shiny!  The wipes were definitely useful for the rubber ring (although I needed more) but as Laura Jane mentioned, I probably could have used Lysol wipes to do the same thing.  The only difference is that one side of the Affresh wipes is rough, which might help grab the gunky build-up on the smooth rubber.  Anyway, I'm not sorry that I bought the kit, and so far I haven't had further laundry issues!  I would buy this again, if only because it makes me feel virtuous and requires minimal effort.

And my final April purchase that I'm enjoying...

from Target.com
This little chair from Target.  Since the pair of recliners did not fit in our living room, we needed to find another solution.  In an ideal world, we would have a matching set of vintage leather club chairs with nail head trim.  In the real world, I am freaking in love with our not-so-chic glider/recliner and this little guy is a suitable mate for that end of the room.  Comfy enough for TV watching, small enough to not overcrowd the space, and cheap enough to not break the bank.  A win-win-win.

Any material pleasures that you're especially enjoying this month?  Do share.


12 comments:

  1. You know I'm loving Season Two of DA as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our new countertop toaster convection oven (Breville). Embarrassingly domestic, but I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love historical fiction, & love the chair!

    I have some Tide stuff similar to the Affresh. But really, I can do the same job with a cup of bleach & the clean cycle, for much cheaper. Plus the Tide stuff is scented, & it's quite powerful -- I actually prefer the bleach, if you can believe it.

    This month's material pleasures have included books (of course!), Lindor milk chocolate mini Easter eggs (yum!), and an Estee Lauder gift with purchase, including a tube of my favourite Lip Conditioner (aka World's Most Expensive Lip Balm).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use microfiber cloths and hot water to wipe out the rubber ring on the washer. The one side is a little bumpy and it scrubs well. I use microfiber for everything because it does hardwood floors (attached to a basic swiffer using bona cleaner) beautifully!

    --Kate in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that chair, is it too demanding to ask for finished room pictures? I love your projects!
    I've only made one small change lately, but it's really made a difference; different colored glass bottles on my kitchen window sill to hold my hat pins. The sun shines through them and they are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Historical fiction is my favorite but mostly of WWII or the cultural revolution in China.
    We have a similar leather chair with ottoman in our library.
    If you like the scrubby surface wipes you could get the disinfecting wipe (we got them from costco) we use them in my sons bathroom for obvious little boy+pee reasons.
    I am tempted bot to cone over and take a giant whiff of your arm Pitts or purchase myself some new BO repelant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're liking the deodorant. Makes me almost ready to drop $10 on deodorant as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read that book a few weeks ago! I have a soft spot for Marie Antoinette. I think she is one of history's most maligned figures. Check out Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran for another good read about her. Actually, if you're looking for good historical fiction, you can't go wrong with any of Michelle Moran's books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. season 2 was awesome. i watched it online at pbs since we no longer have tv. but that's awesome that it was only 14.99.

    so glad you found a deodorant that you like.

    love that chair.

    and love that you are that much closer to holding Deuce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two things.

    1. Is the deodorant Aluminum free? Is it just deodorant or is it an antiperspirant too?

    2. I hate Eastbound and Down as well yet my retarded husband finds it funny which really makes me question our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to read 'Abundance' by Senna Jeter Naslund.. it pulled me so far into the life of MA.. amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a lurker on your blog -- I've found it moving and deeply compelling.

    On a lighter note, if you like historical fiction (well-researched) check out Sharon Kay Penman. Start with Here Be Dragons.

    ReplyDelete