Friday, July 8, 2011

I got married; my friends got drunk. Here are some photos.

First of all, let me just say thanks for all the kind words many of you posted on here in the last couple of days.  Obviously I have been struggling a little bit and it's always uplifting to see your comments.

I thought I would redirect my energies for a little bit, away from grief, and toward something nice:  David and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary this weekend.

That's right!  Not so many summers ago, when I was still a wee young lass, I got married.

"OMG! What just happened???"

People threw lavender, which smelled delicious but also got caught in my hair and stuck in my bra.


We rode on top of the car, parade-style, all the way to the reception hall, pretending we were Nevada royalty.


And we also made a brief detour to the liquor store.  Here I am waiting for David and his groomsmen to return with booze. Because a five-minute drive across town was too far to go without champagne!

From left to right:  Banksy, Pock, Luke the Drifter, and TC.  All kinds of trouble, in rented tuxedos.
We slow danced to the cheesiest, most romantic song ever.

Here are my maids of honor.  I can only assume they are arguing over who is drunker. Safe to say they BOTH WON!  Seriously.  And my brother is laughing at them...  EDITED TO ADD:  In the background of this picture, you also see my lovely bridesmaid Natalie, staring the camera with a mysteriously knowing expression, and also David's friends participating in a group hug / David Allen Coe singalong.  Please note in particular the best side back side of our dear friend Barrett on the far left.

I busted a move on the dance floor with the parents.  Look at the sweaty guy with the loose tie behind me.  A friend from my grad program.  Clearly he takes both literature AND dancing very seriously.

As the night wore on, I opted to keep it KLASSY by dancing on chairs with my besties.  Not sure why Jamie and I are also holding hands.  Oh, wait.  I was probably afraid her drunk ass would fall off the chair.  Also note:  Jamie is wearing a cowboy hat that was provided in a box of costumes/props that the DJ inexplicably brought to the reception and busted out around the time that the reception spontaneously morphed into a karaoke party and the scheduled end time of midnight got pushed back by a few hours.

Which was great because if things had ended at midnight, we might never have taken this picture of Jamie losing her belt and her dignity.  Oh, but we had FUN...

And I, sober and exhausted, collapsed well before the party ended.  David and I left while the dance floor was still bumpin'.  And those shoes were the only thing I didn't like about my wedding day.
Honestly, our wedding reception was one of the most fun I've ever been to, and I don't think that's just because it was my wedding.  Let's just say that what our reception hall lacked in terms of elegance, it more than made up for in PAR-TAY.

And if the severity of hangovers can be used to measure fun, then let me tell you.  Fun was had by Monica and Jamie.

We love to look back at our wedding pictures because that day could not have been more perfect or more fun for us.  Since then, well, it hasn't been a constant karaoke party with an open bar, but we've come a long way.  Oh, we've had our fun.  And our heartaches.  Good times, bad times.  Laughter, tears.  All the things that really count, that let you know you're really living, that make you reevaulate what's important and realize that the person you're with is the only person in the world you'd want to be with today and tomorrow and the day after that.  Yeah, that's where we are now

I thought I loved David the day we got married, almost seven years ago.  But I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and neither did he.  We still don't.  But at least we're in it together.

In it to win it.

14 comments:

  1. There were similar scenes at my wedding, altho the drunk dancing girl was me! Ha! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Brooke & David! I hope you celebrate being together this weekend.

    My wedding photos are bittersweet, as I was 7 months pregnant with Sam. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that was a fun reception! And a beautiful wedding and beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! After the first year or two, they really start flying by, don't they?

    Duh, winning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In it to win it indeed! I love wedding photos, I'm not sure why they make me so happy, but they do! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was there! lol Looks like you guys had a blast. Isn't nice that you still like your hubby? It's funny, when Andy & I got married, Eddie Murphy also got married to some chickie. By the time we got back from our honeymoon, Eddie Murphy and his new Mrs. had already split up!!!! lol Crazy. Glad you and David are still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely in it to win it. happy anniversary. D and i celebrated our 7 yr last month. i look back at my wedding pics and feel sorry for the girl. i had no clue what was coming to me (in terms of our loss). but i know that there is no one else that i would rather weather this terrible storm with than D. and i'm glad you have that person with you too. they are our lifeboats. sending you love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like so much fun! I love weddings, especially ones with open bars. I love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!! Your wedding pics are great!

    Definitely understand the in it together part.......couldn't imagine living this life without my hubby either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In it to win it. Love it. haha

    Looks like a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I re-read your last post and I still have a hard time putting my thoughts into words. The future is like so far away. I am having a hard time letting L buy me concert tickets because it's over a month away. I don't suppose it will always be that way, but it sure feels like it at times. I hope you and David are able to have a peaceful anniversary~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary! Thanks for sharing your photos, looks like you had a blast! : ) I love wedding stories. (When I was on leave, post-Katie, I couldn't bear to watch "A Baby Story," but I watched endless episodes of "A Wedding Story" on TLC.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are such great pictures.... Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete