Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Reprieve

I'm still working on finding moments of joy in which I can delight instead of cringe.  I'm still seeking a way to incorporate Eliza into my life without crying.  I haven't found it yet.

Still, despite my best efforts at times, laughter has a way of prevailing.  Even when we think it shouldn't.  And sometimes I'm bold enough to seek it out.

I had jotted down the name of this website when a friend mentioned how funny she found it and today I clicked over.  Suffice it to say, it did not disappoint.  I may have laughed so hard I snorted.  Terrible, unthinkable things happen in this word everyday.  And auto-correct is still funny.

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

I can't decide if my favorite autocorrect is the guy whose recent break up had made him love dick instead of love sick, or maybe the girl who suggested to her friend that they paint their feces with team colors.  Or the well-meant text from a reassuring friend who knew everything would be all right: "I feel it in my boner."

Dick jokes and poop jokes.  Clearly, I have the sense of humor of a fourteen year old boy.

Perhaps this is why Monica's phone autocorrects my name so that when she types "Brooke," it suggests "Arnold."  My alter-ego.

* * *

If you are in a more mature mood, or less inclined than I to snort over poop jokes, let me suggest something more serious...

Hot Guys Reading Books

So these guys aren't funny, except that the whole concept is kind of hilarious.  The truth is that guys do look hot reading books.  I'd be tempted to post David's picture here, but since fantasy baseball season is starting, he's not reading anything but fantasy baseball magazines (yes, they actually publish these and evidently people like my husband purchase them).  This is what makes a nerd despair over marrying a jock.  (I assure you that he's actually very nerdy in his own way.  And I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.)

The geek-lover in me kind of has a crush on the guy pictured reading Roland Barthes.  Oh yesss.  Semiotics and reader response.  Hott.  But, I bet he doesn't throw a baseball or plant a garden or bathe a wild hyena of a dog or cook dinner or solve mysteries like who is clogging up toilets in the elementary school's girl's bathroom with the skillz and sexiness that my husband does...

* * *

And if you are kind of a nerd yourself, you might like this:

Unnecessary Quotes

This is currently my idea of "cerebral" humor.  It's sort of fitting because unless I'm talking with another person who has been through this, I kind of want to qualify everything that's positive.  Put quotation marks around it to indicate how questionable it is to feel anything besides miserable.  We're just doing our "normal" routine around here.  I had a "good" teaching day today.  How am I?  Fine.  That is, "fine."  Every good thing, every ordinary thing, is couched with loaded meanings, underlaid with grief, requiring air quotes.  Even laughter.

But still, whatever emotional baggage I'm carrying, the fact is funny typos and misplaced punctuation can make me laugh. 

* * *

And so can fat cats in cardboard boxes.

Meet Maru.

My brother introduced me to these videos when he visited in January (BTW we remain bed bug free so you can like totally visit.  No, seriously!).  He suggested that Little Mac, what with her penchant for chasing her own butt and biting at her tail in a rather hysterical manner on at least a daily basis, might be a good candidate for her own You Tube following.

I file this idea away with "Projects I'll Do When Getting Through the Day Isn't So Effing Exhausting."  I'll keep you posted.

* * *

So there are a few of my recent distractions.  Have you found a no-fail source of laughter, even in the darkest moments?  Do tell.

13 comments:

  1. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com
    Is one of my favorites.. Earlier tonight I sent my coworker the link for the Youtube video of Electric Six performing Danger Danger High Voltage. Almost falling out of my chair every single time I watch it. Thanks for the reading material though I can spend several good hours a night checking out these pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spots to check out. This one always make me laugh- or shake my head. Jill

    http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto cake wrecks.

    thank you for this. i too have the humor of an adolescent boy. i am the queen of "that what she said"
    jokes.

    off to read the auto correct site. i truly hate auto correct on my phone, so i'm sure it will be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i had to stop reading the auto correct site. i was laughing too loud at work. haven't had a laugh like that in a while. thx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn You Autocorrect is so freaking hysterical. The first time I saw it I lost an entire hour of my evening, looking through the archives with tears running down my face I was laughing so hard!! You totally don't have to be a 14 y/o boy to appreciate it!

    Hot Guys Reading Books is new to me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing...LOVING the auto correct, freaking hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.xkcd.com/863/
    http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for the comment you left on my blog yesterday. Your words really touched me and made me feel much more comfortable in my choices.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love fantasy baseball season! (Which happens to be all year round in the Banks house) Dennis has been on the internet reading every baseball tidbit he can find and then watching MLB network roughly 12 hours a day (Duck is infinitely jealous of Dennis' access to the MLB network). Just thank god you don't have 12 baseball nerds converging on your house in a couple of weeks. It's gonna be great????

    ReplyDelete
  10. My no-fail source of laughter is your Uncle Dean...whether he knows it or not! Love, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've probably already seen this, as it's an offshoot of Damn You, Autocorrect:

    http://parentsshouldnttext.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried linking to Damn You Autocorrect, only to find that my workplace BLOCKS it. :p Maybe at home later.

    This one frequently has me cracking up:

    http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

    ReplyDelete