Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Time Suck

A friend of mine taught me this acronym that I like to use as a grading rule:  H.A.L.T.

It means that if I am Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, I should not grade papers, lest I take out my emotions on an innocent student's prose.

At this point in the semester, with the third trimester of pregnancy a week (or two?) away, the novelty of back-to-school long worn off, and my inbox bursting with students' neuroses about grades, students' half-assed excuses for absences, and various other professional responsibilities to which I should attend, I am finding that there is NO TIME when I don't feel hungry, angry, or tired.

Sorry, students.  Your prose will feel my wrath.

But here I sit, staring at a huge stack of essays I need to grade and instead I find myself replying to e-mails, planning for classes, corresponding with librarians and advisors and former students and current students and suddenly the afternoon is gone and I still have a huge stack of essays to grade.

And I'm guessing that by the time I finish writing this blog post, they still won't be graded.  Amazing how that works.

There are a few good things happening, though:

1.  It is scarf weather.
2.  Our childbirth classes start next week.
3.  My cough is officially 100% over.
4.  We got nursery furniture.
5.  One of my BFFs had her baby!

I will cover at least four of those items in future blog posts.  Until then, I'll be pregnant girl grading papers with her decaf coffee at the corner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment