Monday, January 11, 2010

My Favorite Things in 2010

I am considering making the most out of 2010 by stretching out the month of January and beginning every post with "In 2010," "In the new year," "Seeing as it's the new year," etc., etc., ad nauseum.

At any rate, here are a few of my favorite things at the start of 2010.  I am not being paid to sponsor any of them.  I seriously just like them.


10.  Lady Gaga
She's way cool.  Like crazy freaky cool.  23 years old and a total performance artist.  I liked her when she sang her disco stick song over the summer, but I loved her after I saw her interview with Barbara Walters (anyone who gets Barbara Walters to say "bluffin' with my muffin'" is amazing, in my opinion).  I dig her hair, her make up, her costumes, her tunes.  My favorite song is "Bad Romance" (watch the video here.  It's brilliant.).

9.  Bee Bar Lotion


Got this in my stocking for Christmas.  It's a bar, but it's a lotion.  Makes my hands smooth and smells delicious.  Plus you don't have to worry about it spill or squishing out in your bag.

8.  New Laptop (Toshiba)



Bigger, faster, better.  It's not as sparkly MacBook (the men in my family shun Macs) but it definitely gets the job done.  And the new Windows operating system?  I like it.  (Note; I look like a bobblehead in this photo.  David is the worst with unflattering photo angles.  I swear my head is not disproportionately huge compared to my body.  I am, however, that pale and sallow looking.)

7.  Fleece Sheets


Not flannel, but fleece.  It's hard to describe what fleece sheets feel like.  Or maybe not.  I mean, they feel like wearing fleece pants.  Only all over your bed.  They are soft and delicious and warm and I can't believe how much I like them.

6.  Biviel boots



Finding boots to fit my calves is Mission Impossible.  Why my limbs are so scrawny is simply a mystery.  Anyway, I shove my stick-legs into Beviel boots and I find that they fit!  It's a beautiful thing to not have a 1" gap between your calf and the side of your tall zipper boot.  And these are the most comfortable 2 and 3/4 heel I've ever worn.

5.  Paris Calendar



Our vacation plans for this summer are still up in the air...  in the meantime, having this calendar hanging in my kitchen is a nice reminder that the world is inspiring and beautiful and my life is filled with good people having birthdays and fun things to do.

4.  Southwest Casserole.

I have to make up a flashier name for this recipe because it is officially my new favorite food. This picture does not do it justice because it is a photo of microwaved leftovers (which were still awesome).  I should have documented the whole cooking process but I didn't realize how wonderful it would be until it was all over. Make it, eat it, love it.




First, cook 3/4 cup of rice.  While that's cooking, microwave a sweet potato.
When the rice is done, dump it in a big bowl.
When the potato is done, peel it, chop it up, and dump it in with the rice.  Mix.  Add a bit of salt and pepper.
Take a can of corn, drained, and put it in another big bowl.  Drain and rinse a can of black beans and mix those with the corn.
Chop a green pepper and a small onion, and mince a clove of garlic
In a large pan, sautee the pepper, onion, and garlic with a tablespoon cumin and a teaspoon of oregano.
When the onions are translucent, pour that mix in with the corn and beans.
Dump a can of ro-tel in the same pan that you just used to sautee the onion and pepper.  Swish it around to get all the spices, then dump it on top of the corn and bean mix also.
Then--and this is the important part!--add 1/3 cup BBQ sauce.  Use Gates original if you can get it.  It's my secret ingredient and it makes all the difference.
Mix it all together, then add it to the rice and potato bowl.
Mix all of that together, then add a cup and a half of colby jack cheese and mix that in too.  Add a tablespoon of EVOO and stir that up also.
Grease a 2 qt. casserole dish.
Dump the mixture into the casserole dish.  Cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for another 10.
Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
Eat with cornbread.
E-mail a thank you note telling me how much you love this recipe.
You're welcome.

3. Mrs. Meyers handsoap in Basil



I've loved Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products for a long time but I bought this scent only because they were out of my usual (Lemon Verbana).  It smells unexpectedly delicious and not like the dried herb but like the fresh, fragrant plant.

2. Apples to Apples



Played this game with friends from the department and had a jolly evening.  Good-natured bickering heightened by the revelation of personal biases.  The game works like this: the judge reads an adjective (eg. "unnatural," "charming," "smelly") and the players must choose from the seven noun-cards they are holding to see which best matches that adjective (eg. "marriage," "Lucille Ball," "The 1960s").  The judge decides, the winning card gets held by the person who played it, and the game moves on with the next person being the judge and a new adjective drawn.  It's pretty swell entertainment and even more fun with more booze.

1. Netflix
We are like five years later in jumping on this bandwagon, but David has held out, insisting that it is cheaper to rent from Redbox.  Which, it is, but the choices are limited.  He's finally agreed that we should do a Netflix membership in order to watch seasons of shows like True Blood and The Wire.  Because we don't watch enough TV, obviously.  2010 is shaping up to be a good year...

8 comments:

  1. I wondered how you liked the sheets! I may have to get some for myself! I bet Cooper loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you're using Netflix Streaming on the PS3, yes? ...'cause we watched 14 episodes of "Lost" over the last 5 days using it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're about to splurge on the wireless router for the xbox 360 so we can watch our netflix on the tv too. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe Name GeneratorJanuary 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM

    Re: flashier name for the casserole, perhaps Tex-Mex Surprise? Sweet Potato Hot Dish? Picante Pie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Andy--I didn't even know about this wireless streaming PS3 Netflix TV thing. We may be calling you for tech assistance. We haven't ACTUALLY started our subscription yet. Still in the planning phase (or really no one has taken the thirty seconds to sit down and do it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Recipe Name Generator--I would like the word "sassy" or "tangy" to be in the recipe name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Netflix Streaming through the PS3 is a wonderful thing. We signed up for the 2 week trial last week and had them send us a PS3 streaming disc (free...arrived quickly...). You just pop the DVD in the PS3, follow the steps, and then anything in your Instant Queue is "beamed" to the PS3 so you can watch in near-HD quality on your TV. You'll probably want the PS3 remote, if you don't already own one.

    Feel free to let me know if you have questions! It is pretty easy to do, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the Lady Gaga video and I think you are drawn to the tattoo on the inside of her left bicep. No doubt she had that done to cover a burn scar.
    Tia Favorita

    ReplyDelete