Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Groundhog Day


You remember the movie.  With Bill Murray?  He relives Groundhog Day over and over again until he gets it right.  I always liked that movie.  Slightly absurdist humor appeals to me.

There are days I wouldn't mind living over and over at least a few times.  I had a couple of really great birthdays as a kid.  Some super fun vacations with my family.  A great Saturday in San Francisco that began at a literature conference and ended with Irish coffee.  I could relive any of those with much delight.

But, of course, the only day that goes into endless repeat is Groundhog Day.  So you have to be careful.

Which brings me to my point:  I handed in my dissertation today.  Distributed printed and bound copies of it to my committee members. 

My dissertation defense will take place in less than two weeks.  Two weeks from yesterday, to be exact.

That's right.  It's scheduled for Groundhog Day.


Because if there is one day you want to live over and over again...  it would be the day of your dissertation defense.  Obviously.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Brooke! You have the finish line in sight!
    Tia Favorita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I, thankfully, don't have to turn mine in for awhile yet, but I've at least got the defense scheduled for April 19th. Which is not Groundhog Day.

    Either way, I'm sure you'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It WILL be one of those days you want to relive over and over! You'll be amazing...I just know.

    ReplyDelete