Monday, June 22, 2009

A Belated Father's Day Post

just chillin' with my dad and a cold one

I spent yesterday recovering from the Compton-Lewis wedding and making the four and a half hour drive back home. I felt like I had a hangover, but it was a purely emotional one because I was so busy at the reception that I had a few sips of champagne and don't even think I managed to finish an entire beer. I did manage to pack my suitcase to come home without actually packing ANY of my clothes (long story) and they are residing comfortably in the dresser in my old bedroom which is seriously annoying but hopefully will be returned to me soon.

Anyway, my blog shout-out to my dad was delayed for those reasons and so here it is:

One of my friends recently told me that I was the only one of her friends who doesn't have "daddy issues."

So on Father's Day, I say thanks, Dad. For not making me have daddy issues. For not being absent or abusive or an alcoholic (even though during the drugs & alcohol prevention program in fourth grade I thought you were because they never talk to kids about drinking in MODERATION and so I was very concerned there for a while). Thanks for showing me that good dads are also good husbands. Thanks for raising me in a home and in a town where I felt loved and valued and like you were proud of me.

Over the years we have not always seen eye to eye on every issue, but I have come to realize that the traits you have that make me crazy (you know... how you can be stubborn, hard-headed, and sometimes short-tempered, you have a tendency to sigh in irritation, and your my-way-or-the-highway attitude) are the very characteristics that I inherited from you.

dads make us fearless

My mom tells this story about a magnet we had on the fridge when I was little. It was a pink pom-pom with eyeballs and a nose glued on so it would look like a pig. Evidently, I was very fond of this magnet because when our cat got a hold of it and shredded it, I discovered the remains and burst into tears. My two-or-three-year-old self was devastated about the loss of the magnet ("It was my favorite!" I told my mom) and when my mom picked up the pink fuzz and googly eyes to throw it away, I tried to stop her, saying "No! Dad can fix it!"

I still think my dad can fix just about anything.

I love you, Dad!

1 comment:

  1. It occurs to me that I overlooked a Mother's Day post, which is a TRAVESTY! Shout out to my mom, coming soon.

    ReplyDelete